WHAT IS THE ES-SO PRODUCT DATABASE?
ES-SO (the European Solar Shading Association) has created a product database that calculates energy performance figures for solar shading products in combination with glazing (complex glazing systems). ES-SO is a not-for-profit organisation to Belgian Law (ES-SO vzw) established in Brussels.
It is the umbrella organisation of the professional solar shading associations in the various Member States of the EU and includes some non-EU members. In countries where no professional trade association is in existence, prominent individual companies can be invited to join as associate members.
WHY DO YOU NEED IT?
There is an increasing demand for accurate product information in building design. An authoritative reference point for the accuracy of data for products used in the construction of buildings was an objective of the EU Qualicheck initiative.
The ES-SDA database has been developed to meet the needs of that programme lead by the European direction for the need for validated data for all building materials. It is the initiative of ES-SO in order to assure validated and credible data which the market is looking for by concerted action of the European umbrella organisation of the professional solar shading associations.
WHAT IS THE DATA?
The spectral data is derived from laboratory testing with a photospectrometer of the properties of the product at wavelength intervals of 5 nanometers in accordance with the requirements of the International Standard ISO 52022/1 and EN410. That is submitted to ES-SO by the manufacturer. That spectral data is then consolidated into an integrated performance figure for each of the outputs.
TO NAME A FEW...
gtot – Total Solar Energy Transmittance
U-value – Thermal Transmittance
Tvis – Visible Transmittance
From this you can either:
- Find out an energy performance indicator for a particular product
- Find information to help with different national building codes
- Assist with building modeling
- Find out complete product information
PEER REVIEW OF DATA
Before being included the data is checked and scrutinised by a Peer Review Committee to validate the data and testing process. This is an identical process to that used by the glazing industry and is a robust and effective way of ensuring the integrity of the database.
The peer review team review that laboratory data to confirm that it is correct and consistent with expectations.
The U-tot calculations for permeability of assembled product are calculated by building modelling to a default model and default perimeter gap dimensions that have been validated by laboratory product testing and utilising the spectral data derived from laboratory testing of the curtain of the product. The peer review procedure for that is an assessment that achievement of that performance is a reasonable expectation from the modelling. The SUV validated calculations are derived from the spectral data and displayed in a rating table as the pdf attached.
ENTRY ONTO THE DATABASE
When that data is entered, the ES-SDA database then calculates the energy performance of blind and shading products when used in combination with reference glazings defined in International Standard ISO52022/1 that has replaced the European standards EN 13363-1 and EN 14501. The change is explained in the knowledge base. All calculations are performed in accordance with the relevant European standards and procedures.
The ES-SDA product database allows users to search for manufacturer’s products and export the product and energy performance data. The data is available either as complete product information or in a format for specific national building codes, modelling data inputs and energy performance indicators.
WHAT IT WILL NOT PROVIDE
The database is a validation of the accuracy of manufacturer’s information it is not a search tool. You cannot for example search for “please find the best product” That is not least because one does not exist. Shading will perform many functions and has many different energy saving benefits and the priorities for those benefits will not be the same for different buildings, locations or users. In fact ES-SO and other scientific studies have shown that the most energy and cost- effective options can be found by using two shading devices in a window.
WHERE DO I FIND INFORMATION ON THE TYPE OF SHADING THAT I NEED?
There are various guidance publications produced by ES-SO and its member associations that are listed with the association contact details go to ES-SO homepage Members of those Associations will be able to provide advice and guidance. The ES-SDA database provides the confidence that by specifying product included in the database the claims for performance are accurate.
WHAT IS THE ES-SDA COLLECTIVE MARK AND HOW CAN I USE IT?
Registered Collective Mark No 015915201. Any manufacturer of a Product will be allowed to use the Collective Mark in relation to that specific Product which has been specifically accepted into the Database in accordance with this Regulation, provided that it fulfils and continues to fulfils the following cumulative conditions:
- the manufacturer is a member of the Holder (ES-SO) or of a national association which is a member of the Holder(ES-SO) in accordance with Article v of the User regulation ; AND
- the Product is allowed into the Database in accordance with Article 8 of this Regulation; AND
- the manufacturer has paid the entry fees and the annual contribution in accordance with Article 1.4. of this Regulation
USE OF THE COLLECTIVE MARK AND OBLIGATIONS OF THE USER
Use of ES-SDA mark in commercial communication including the website but only related to the ES-SDA Database - upon request, Holder (ES-SO) submit advertising campaign using ES-SDA Mark.
- Use of Collective Mark only in the exact way as it is registered ; not allowed to integrate in own corporate name or to use it as own trademark
- Use of Collective Mark in good faith, and not as to damage the reputation of the Collective Mark
- Use of Collective Mark only for products and services ES-SDA database (not use in general way)
- The User is obliged to pay an entry fee at the submission of a Product, an entry fee per Product at the publication thereof in the Database and an annual contribution for every Product included in the Database (*)
- Every user shall provide the Holder at the beginning of each year, without any charge, with any and all documentation which may be useful to prove genuine use of the Collective Trademark, to the benefit of the Holder
- See further ES-SDA Database Cost (pdf)